Subject: Re: 5400rpm toshiba drive in JBR
From: sophana (jobarjo78_at_yahoo.fr)
Date: 2004-06-01

Stuart Tedford wrote:

>I tried this drive again (MK6022GAX) at the weekend, and again it didn't
>work.
>
>The drive spins up, but using RockBox in ROM ver 2.2 I get the error...
>
>ATA error: -11
>
>then pressing ON to debug I get...
>
>PADR: A27F
>PBDR: BDBF
><snip>
>Batt: 5.39V - 1%
>ATA: slave, 0x0
>
>This is the exact same error I get when I have no HDD attached!
>
>I also get a register error using the original archos firmware 1.28.
>
>I can switch on the JBR using the AC adaptor into original firmware to get
>to the battery charging screen. Then if I press ON RockBox starts and I get
>a different error...
>
>ATA error: -31
>PADR: 337F
>PBDR: FFBF
><snip>
>ATA: master, 0x200
>
>Interestingly, the drive also fails to be recognised in my other laptop
>(toshiba portege 3440). It spins up in that too but the BIOS doesn't detect
>any HDD attached, which is annoying since they are both toshiba products!
>So only my main laptop (compac evo n800w) can recognise the drive, which is
>the drive the laptop shipped with.

Have you noticed it is slave on the first one and master on the second?
You might look at the jumpers and see if something wrong.

you may also try some low level HD utilities in the ultimate boot cd:
www.ultimatebootcd.com

Compaq making products incompatibles with others seems not surprising to
me also. (even if it comes from toshiba)