Subject: RE: HD Error...My baby won't boot!
From: Touillaud Nicolas (Nicolas.Touillaud_at_fr.thalesgroup.com)
Date: 2004-06-01

>2. Realizing that a mechanism-free player has considerably more shock
>resistance, the lack of memory is a definite downside. Carrying most of my
>music collection with me has tremendous advantages. If I do have to go
>mechanism-free, what are the group's suggestions? What is a good and
>reliable unit that has a decent sized memory? And how much is decent
sized?
>How many CDs?

I may say wrong things here, but the iPod-mini and the Creative MuVoČ (not
sure of the name...) seem quite resistant to shocks. Both use microdrives
(compactflash-sized HD) so this is not a mechanism-free solution but you
should read user reviews.

As for memory of flash-only devices... You won't get more than 1G I'm
affraid. Not to mention the price of such guizmos, flash memory is
expensive.

Another expensive mechanism-free possibility is a pocket-PC (for mp3,any
should do) using a huge CompactFlash (or eq.). The biggest CF I've heard of
is 12G, ultra-fast, but it costs more than my car :)

I'm very interested in alternative solutions or thougher drives...

But you can still use your (fixed) archos (or any usb2 drive) as a portable
media bank, while your player stay small. The last problem to solve is "how
to transfer specific files from my HD to my player withour a PC". Once
again, I'm interested in answers :)

Nicolas