Subject: Re: sony cd changer emulation almost finished
From: Björn Stenberg (
Date: 2004-06-01

sophana wrote:
> I had a look at the plugin mechanism. The big struct containing all the
> pointers is touchy to make backward compatibility.

That's not a big problem with Free Software, since the plugins are always recompiled when the API changes.

Backwards plugin API compatibility is only important if you worry about old binary-only plugins working with new Rockbox versions. That is not a problem we have.

> Is there not another way of making system calls through a trap or
> something like that? (like most modern OS)

Trapping is used for separating user-space and kernel-space code. We don't have anything like that, we just want to call a few functions. So we use simple callbacks.