Subject: Re: sony cd changer emulation almost finished
From: Björn Stenberg (
Date: 2004-06-02

sophana wrote:
> So why the API struct ? You could link the plugins so they make direct
> calls to the rockbox routines. This should be not very hard.

That makes plugins incompatible with every little firmware change, which is a nuisance.

Also, having a clearly specified plugin API means we know exactly which functions the plugins use. Therefore we don't have to worry about breaking plugin compatibility when we are modifying the firmware.

> one more question: are sh1 executables relocatable? this way, several
> plugins could be loaded together...

Any code can be made Position Independent. This is done using a Global Offset Table that all function calls via, which contains the absolute address of the functions used. That is, however, far beyond the purpose of Rockbox plugins.