Subject: RE: 5400rpm toshiba drive in JBR

RE: 5400rpm toshiba drive in JBR

From: Stuart Tedford <stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 12:23:53 +0100

> Is your external USB2 HDD enclosure powered by the USB cable,
> connected to the USB connector of your laptop? If this is the case, maybe
> you need to connect an extra power supply to the USB2 HDD enclosure. I
> had to do so because the USB of my laptop does not supply enough power
> (while the USB connector of my desktop computer does).

The enclosure is powered by the USB cable, and you are right, one of the
laptops cannot spin up the drive. But the USB cable has two plugs on it
where it connects to the PC, so you can get power from 2 USB ports
simultaneously. I have tried it on both desktop and and laptop units and
the drive does spin up OK so I don't think power supply is the problem.

I'm currently looking in to the cable select pin on the drive (pin 28) as I
think that might be the cause of the problems.

Stu.