Subject: Re: Harddisk OK, but doesn't start spinning
From: sophana (
Date: 2004-06-02

Markus Grebenstein wrote:

> thanks a lot for your response!
>> And what voltage after charging?
>> can your batteries be dead?
> I changed the batteries to brandnew MiHs with 2100mA charged external
> so this shouldn't be the problem. Furtheron I tried with an
> professional external powersupply at the DC- connector and the
> processor and the display worked fine
>> maybe you should take the ide pinout and check the power pins
>> voltage, and if there is a signal making the drive spinning.
> I already measured the IDE (ATA) pin voltages. I switched on the unit
> and measured at pin 42 (Motor) and pin 41 (Logic) (not with a scope
> yet; just a multimeter). Has been nearly 0V. But I don't know if those
> two voltages are controlled by the processor or if they have to be 5V
> permanently
the processor does spin the drive by software (of course), but I don't
know the details.
I don't know your jukebox model, but look at, there are ATA power control
signals. I don't know what is behind... maybe there is a power
transistor which fails in your case.

don't forget there is a schematic

Do you know the active levels of the signals you measured?

The ata technical spec are on the net. You might look there also?