Subject: Flashing a unit
From: Rick Alfaro (
Date: 2004-06-02

Sorry folks, I'm still new with this stuff. I have read through the RockBox
manual and was trying to understand the flashing procedure. From what I
understand, flashing a unit as opposed to simply just having the .mod file
in the root is supposed to get you a faster boot. Is this correct? As
things are now, with the latest RockBox build my unit boots a lot faster
than it did with the straight Archos firmware and I can't imagine it booting
much faster. Is there really any advantage to flashing the unit?
Also, if I decide to do this, what is the easiest way to accomplish this for
someone that can't see the display, or better said, by using the voice
I'm a little concerned about doing this since there is a possibility of
winding up with a dead unit if something goes wrong, so maybe any gains
don't justify the risk.
Best regards,
Rick Alfaro