Subject: Re: Optimum Audio Levels

Re: Optimum Audio Levels

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 03:22:30 +0100

Hi guys,

First of all a great big thank you to everybody who replied. You help is
much appreciated :)

I have read every single response and catalogued them; and will make some
analysis of the results and tweak the algorithm accordingly

A few comments were made that I should reply to; I have combined them all
into this 'one big reply.'

>I would REALLY like a setting that produces "line level"
>
>Don't wan' no stinkin' karry okie.

"LINE OUT" is there :)

The Empty-Orchestra option is gonna be cool - I'm already dreaming about it
(the interface, not the singing), but fear my time may be about to be torn
away from such severe Rockbox development - so it may be a while.

>Headphones: 60 - 70 %

Either you have incredible headphones or I am going deaf - lol

>If you do line level what are you going to define "line" as?
>-10 is about normal for consumer stuff
>+ 4 is line for pro stuff.
>Thats dBu

and

>As someone who has tried to use an Archos in professional applications, I
>would strongly suggest -10dBu. It's consumer grade, at best.

scope tests:
# Chris Muth reports 90% is the closest match to the line level from his
car CD player
# I recall a more detailed test (but cannot find the email now) where the
result was 93%
...The manual claims that 0dB (on it's scale) will produce line-out ...this
is "about" 92%

So as there have been _two_ tests which I know of, and the average of the
two is almost exactly what the MAS Engineers claim - I am going to reap the
experience of the chip designers and the two Rockboxers who got out their
scopes and call 0dB (on the MAS3587 "VOLUME" scale) LINE-OUT

Hope that satisfies all the points which were raised. If not ...ask more ;)

Cheers again for all your time people,

BlueChip