Subject: AJBR20 Dying?
From: Joel Lardizabal (
Date: 2004-06-03

My AJBR has a Hitachi Travelstar 80GB in it with 4x 2300mAh Lenmar
batteries. It has been working perfectly for many months but yesterday it
gave me a variety of problems. I use my AJBR daily to transfer files to and
from work using the USB2.0 connection. It is constantly powered with a 9VDC
power supply.

The errors started when I could no longer see the unit in Windows. Then
when I tried rebooting the unit, I would get either a *PANIC* DISK NULL, or
DISK ATA -71 error. I would also get HDD register errors sometimes. I
replaced the batteries with newer, fully charged 2300mAh ones. The problem
remained. Furthermore, the unit would have difficulty booting when no
external power is supplied - as if the battery power wasn't enough - the LCD
was dimming. Now I know the batteries are fully charged and can supply more
than enough current to run the thing. I made sure the HDD was OK by
removing it and testing it out on a PC, and thankfully it was fine.

Any thoughts, suggestions?