Subject: Re: AJBR20 Dying?
From: Mat Holton (
Date: 2004-06-03

My only thoughs are: There seems to be a hell of a lot of Boxes dying at the moment.
..mine included.
-----Original Message-----From: Joel Lardizabal <>To: <>Sent: 03/06/2004 14:57Subject: AJBR20 Dying?My AJBR has a Hitachi Travelstar 80GB in it with 4x 2300mAh Lenmar

batteries. It has been working perfectly for many months but yesterday it

gave me a variety of problems. I use my AJBR daily to transfer files to and

from work using the USB2.0 connection. It is constantly powered with a 9VDC

power supply.

The errors started when I could no longer see the unit in Windows. Then

when I tried rebooting the unit, I would get either a *PANIC* DISK NULL, or

DISK ATA -71 error. I would also get HDD register errors sometimes. I

replaced the batteries with newer, fully charged 2300mAh ones. The problem

remained. Furthermore, the unit would have difficulty booting when no

external power is supplied - as if the battery power wasn't enough - the LCD

was dimming. Now I know the batteries are fully charged and can supply more

than enough current to run the thing. I made sure the HDD was OK by

removing it and testing it out on a PC, and thankfully it was fine.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

"Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders
what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of ."

 They Might Be Giants.

Surface Inspection Ltd