Subject: white backlight mod
From: [IDC]Dragon (idc-dragon_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-06-03

At first I thought I'm way too old to spend an hour of micro-surgery work on
such a childish mod, but I'm quite pleased with the result:
http://joerg.hohensohn.bei.t-online.de/archos/backlight.jpg

On this picture, it looks very blue, but is in fact white with a touch of
blue. Readability is much better (mostly due to way more brightness), movies
and JPEGs look a lot better in b&w than green.

I used SMT LEDs in 0603 package, sold for Nokia phones, but can't recommend
those. This is a bit smaller than the footprint, my LEDs were extremely
sensitive to soldering heat because they had no backplate. Melts a second
after being touched by the soldering needle. Better use the larger 1206
type, they should fit. In general, the chip LEDs have to be soldered in
sideways.
Because of the higher forward voltage (~3V instead of ~1.8V), I connected
two in parallel instead of in series like originally. This means you have to
cut the interconnecting trace and route 2 wires per side. The current
limiting resistor is already OK for this configuration, no need to change
it.

And no, I'm not starting a business and do that for anybody else. ;-)

Jörg