Subject: Re: Need help with UART boot

Re: Need help with UART boot

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:55:19 +0200 (MEST)

> I tried erasing the flash (by giving uart_boot a zero byte file) and I got
> only 0xFF afterwards, as expected. I can successfully flash files
> containing
> only 0x00, 0xFF, 0x55. One thing I noticed: Why does the uart_boot tool
> return a 512kb flash dump? The flash chip is supposed to have 256k x 8 =
> 256kb, or am I wrong?

The 512k is because I have used a double capacity chip when replacing mine.
this is the max. for the footprint.

> For my tests, I replaced the whole content of firmware_rec.bin with 0x55,
> resulting in a 178.134 byte file. I flashed it and dumped the contents of
> the flash chip afterwards. The dump file contains 512kb of 0x55! Strange?

Then I guess you have shorted an address line? Try flashing a file with a
single zero byte, and check if it appears in multiple places.

> It's a SST39VF020, should be the right one I hope.

You didn't tell the speed grade, but Archos was already using the lowest,
iirc.

Jörg