Subject: Re: AJBR20 Dying?

Re: AJBR20 Dying?

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 12:30:52 +0200

Peter Grecian wrote:
> Open Source Hardware for an AJBR like device would
> be ideal. Anyone know how hard this would be to do in
> practice ?

We have discussed this before:
  http://rockbox.haxx.se/mail/archive/rockbox-archive-2004-03/1235.shtml

The difference between software and hardware is that software is just ideas while hardware is physical matter. This means hardware will always have a cost for production and distribution that software doesn't. It also means hardware is much much more difficult to patch and modify ad inifitum.

The end result is that any custom hardware we make on a hobby basis will only ever have a very small user base. And a small user base means an even smaller developer base. And that's just plain boring. :-)

--
Björn