Subject: Re: Othello : Legal issues
From: BlueChip (
Date: 2004-06-08

>Hello !
>What legal issues made you remove othello ?

Well first off it's not "Othello" or it would probably be trade mark
infringement - lol

On a more serious note. I have refused to include the name printed on my
birth certificate in my source submissions. This is apparently
unacceptable behviour for a Rockbox hacker so my code has been removed.

The reasoning is that if Rockbox get sued (no, nobody thinks it's likely,
but *if*) then they will not be able to tell the lawyers my real name and
will therefore be sued-to-death (or whatever the feared oucome is) on my

This seems a reasonable fear in this day and age. So I agreed that I would
lodge my real name with the core guys, so if the unlikely occurred there
would be no legal backlash. This was not a suitable solution, and so we
currently find ourselves with no appropriate compromise.

Don't worry, I will still develop for and offer support to the Rockbox
community both here and on irc, and my code will still me made available
for all to enjoy, just not from the Rockbox SourceForge page.

So BOOKMARK this now:

cos this is where the fun stuff will continue to appear until either a) My
Jukebox dies, or b) we (Bjo"rn, Daniel, Linus & myself) can agree on an
amicable resolution to our impasse.

On the bright side of the street will be pleased to know that the
"Latest" version on Othelo on the Cyborg Systems web page, is much improved
from that which has been shipping with Rockbox anyway :)

You can download the plugin, or simply unzip the contents of the SOURCE.ZIP
to your plugins directory and type "make" :)

That was my, hopefully unbiased, summary of today's logged conversation on IRC:
soon to be (at midnight tonight)

If you want to know more, then it is all there to be read; but be warned,
like most legal conversations, it is not "brief" - LOL

Hope that's a good and fair answer,