Subject: Re: Othello : Legal issues

Re: Othello : Legal issues

From: Mat Holton <mathew.holton_at_surface-inspection.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:45:11 +0100

I shall continue to subscribe to the Rockbox mailing list for a while even though
I am Rockboxless for reasons like this. The on going battles between BlueChip and Rockbox provides
much entertainment!

lol

-----Original Message-----From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn?= Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>To: Rockbox development <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>Sent: 08/06/2004 15:10Subject: Re: Othello : Legal issuesSalokyn wrote:

> What legal issues made you remove othello ?

Rockbox is an open and transparent project. In fact, I dare say it is the most transparent project I know of. We log everything we do, every mail we send, every line of IRC chat, and all code modifications. Everything is out in the open, allowing anyone to study the history and making of the project.

The listed author of the Othelo plugin, who calls himself "Bluechip", refuses to tell us who he is. This has left us legally vulnerable, since we do not know who wrote of all the code we distribute.

I have for a long time tried to convince "Bluechip" to identify himself, but he steadfastly refuses. Today I tried and failed yet again. I see no other solution than to remove the offending code.

The legal status of the Rockbox project is very important, since we work in an area (reverse-engineering) where some people and companies believe we do not have a right to work. I am not willing to take any chances regarding this.

--
Björn