Subject: Re: Legal issues, names, privacy, and pseudonyms

Re: Legal issues, names, privacy, and pseudonyms

From: Fred Maxwell <rockbox_at_anti-spam.org>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:35:16 -0400

Björn Stenberg wrote:

> It is well established that anonymity breeds
> irresponsibility, and lawyers know it too.

I've never heard such a claim and, frankly, it sounds like a propaganda
poster one might find in a Communist China Internet Cafe.

In this case, we have someone who is anonymous and is behaving very
responsibly. As John De Armond suggested, Bluechip could have easily
just given you a name from a phone book and you'd be none the wiser.
But Bluechip is apparently not willing to lie. I think that says a lot
more about his character than any name he might give you.

> What I'm saying is that I want Rockbox to be
> sparkling clean without a speck of suspicion
> when lawyers come around digging for dirt.

How does having someone give you a name, which may or may not be their
own, protect Rockbox in any way? You don't know what they do for a
living, what contracts they may have signed, conflicts of interest they
might have, whether they are honest people, whether they have drinking
problems, etc. All that you are doing is making yourself personally
liable if one of these people ever does contribute code that they don't own.

Regards,
   Fred Maxwell