Subject: Re: Othello : Legal issues

Re: Othello : Legal issues

From: Neon John <johngd_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 21:03:26 -0400

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 00:23:03 +0200, Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se> wrote:

>Neon John wrote:
>> This is control-freakism out of control. Totally out of control.
>
>Far from it. Many projects require all contributors to sign release papers and fax copies of passports, or even do physical IRL identity checks (such as in Debian).

OK, I take that back. You're not quite totally out of control. THAT is out
of control control-freakism. It's also the perfect prescription to cause
something good to melt into an inbred, more and more irrelevant product. Oh
wait, that pretty much describes Debian, eh?

>All we are doing is rejecting anonymous contributions. If that makes us control freaks in your eyes, so be it.

There's an old saying that goes "those with the least authority wield it the
most vigorously." Perfect description of this situation.

Tell me how you're rejecting anonymous contributions. Tell me how you know
that I'm not BlueChip? Or he I? You don't. All you're doing is excluding
from Rockbox some of the most innovative work to come along in a LONG time
just because you can't have your way. Maybe you can't understand our
(American) rebellious nature (assuming that you're sure we're even in America)
given the highly structured nature of your society but you ought to try.

I've spent a bit of my career working as an expert in legal matters. I've
been around lawyers enough to understand how they think. Believe what you
will, but your little exercise in "protection" would be breached in the first
5 minutes of deposition. In fact, you'd find yourself worse off (the due
diligence issue) than if you did nothing.

It is incredibly coincidental that this would come up now. I've been thinking
for some time that it is time for "neon John" and "John De Armond" to
disappear from the net. Too many hassles and too much spam from being widely
known on the net. When these names disappear and I come back up with an
alias, absolutely no one will know what the connection is. If and when I
contribute code to Rockbox, that will include you. You'll have a text string
to fit into that rigid little mental slot but it will be meaningless.

The tragic thing is, you're forcing a fork in the product for no valid reason
at all. I have dreaded seeing Rockbox fork, as most freeware eventually does.
I could not have imagined it would be over something as silly and meaningless
as this.

John

---
John De Armond