Subject: USB device to USB device
From: Chris Holt (
Date: 2004-06-09

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:37:29 -0400, Neon John wrote:

> The short answer is "you don't." The slightly longer answer is, there
> is a switch on the box. Slide it one way and it clones the source
> device, placing the directory structure in a root directory called
> /syncboxXX where XX is a sequential number. Slide it the other way and
> it copies only the contents of the /syncbox directory on the source
> device.

So one could conceivably use a HDD based MP3 player as a library of sorts,
with many folders of content less than or equal to the size of a flash
player's capacity? Prior to transfer, rename the desired directory to
"syncbox" and do the transfer. Yes? No? Have you tried this sort of
thing? The main requirement, I guess would be a player capable of
renaming directories.

I may just have to get one of these things. I assume it will support
certain flash card reader/writers too?

(yes I altered the subject. I think it's confusing to add the word slave,
when USB is simply a Host/Device configuration and not a Host/Master/Slave
configuration like IDE. Not that it's strictly wrong to use the term
Slave, just confusing)