Subject: RE: new user questions
From: Rick Alfaro (ralfaro_at_bellsouth.net)
Date: 2004-06-09

Rob,

Someone has answered most of your questions already, but I can add a bit to
help. I am also blind and am thoroughly enjoying the voice navigation.
These guys have done some awesome stuff.

Anyhow, the battery level is announced in terms of a percentage remaining.
Assuming you have the V1 20gm recorder model, press f1 to bring up the
talking menu system, then hit down until you get to "info" and hit either
select or play. This will bring you into a sub menu. Navigate to "RockBox
info" and hit select or play. You will then hear RockBox tell you the
percentage of battery remaining, the amount of free space on the hard drive,
and the time and date. If at first you don't get the batter information,
wait a minute or 2 and try it again. It seems that RockBox takes a little
while to ascertain the correct battery status, so don't be concerned if you
don't get it on the first attempt. This only seems to be the case if you
have just powered on your unit. Once you get the info you want, you can
escape back to the menus by tapping off.

Regarding the batteries, changing them is not difficult at all if you have
the same model I have which is the 20gb Jukebox Recorder with USB 2.0
support. I'm not sure if I can explain the procedure in words, and I would
hate to not explain it properly, but perhaps if you have someone sighted
handy, they should be able to see where the battery covers easily come off.
There are actually instructions for doing this in the manual I believe that
will help someone sighted to do it the first time. Once they have done it,
have them show you how simple it really is.

It has been suggested in the past that the posts and terminals that hold
these batteries in place can sometimes be somewhat delicate or easily worn
somehow, so personally, I would put those 2300mah cells in there, learn how
to make the change yourself, then leave them alone until they are either
cycled out, or some substantially higher capacity cells come on the market.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Best regards,

Rick Alfaro
ralfaro_at_bellsouth.net