Subject: Re: Audio 3587/Core Support for the blind
From: BlueChip (
Date: 2004-06-09

>Hi there.

Hey :)

>I have the info to download and install Audio 3587. I have not installed
>it as of yet as I am somewhat concerned about the voice interface. I am
>one of the Blind RockBox users, and would be lost without the talking
>menus, folders and file names.

Let me quote from the release notes email:
"*NO* features were removed in the making of this plugin."

> Does Audio 3587 have all of the voice guidance in place, or just a
> partial implementation?

Again from the release notes:
"Full Speech has been maintained throughout, in continued support of our
ever growing number of blind community members."
...Two days work, on it's own ;)

> What about the voice keyboard for choosing letters for building a file
> name for config files and such?

The keyboard/file-name entry thing does not seem to support speech.
DAMN! ...I didn't spot that! That's the second bug in that file :(

Okay, I will fix that for my special build in a few days (quite busy atm),
but you will need to discuss it with the core devs if you want it fixed

There are three screens full of obscure characters on that keyboard - of
course the speech interface will likely never support all of them. hmmmmm

In the mean time, I suggest you do not try to save with ON+F2, just use the
automatic save feature which happens behind the scenes and only have one
set of settings :(

>I am really dying to try the software, but don't want to get stuck without
>voice guidance, so if you could clear this up for me I'd be very grateful.

I fully appreciate your predicament - be assured that the ONLY feature with
no voice is the keyboard, and this is caused by Rockbox core code - I am
trying really hard to not touch this code, because any fix I implement on
the core code currently garuantees it will not be included due to the risk
of "tainting." ...but if it's crippling my code, then I may do it anyway,
and those concerned by the tainting issue can just never look at it :)

You're welcome :)