Subject: Re: spin down in linux
From: roland (for_spam_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-06-10

maybe, "hdparm" is your friend here ?

-y
Force an IDE drive to immediately enter the low power consumption standby mode, usually causing it to spin down. The current power
mode status can be checked using the -C flag.
-Y
Force an IDE drive to immediately enter the lowest power consumption sleep mode, causing it to shut down completely. A hard or soft
reset is required before the drive can be accessed again (the Linux IDE driver will automatically handle issuing a reset if/when
needed). The current power mode status can be checked using the -C flag.

hth
roland