Subject: Re: USB device to USB device
From: Neon John (
Date: 2004-06-11

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:02:53 -0400, Chris Holt <> wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:37:29 -0400, Neon John wrote:
>> The short answer is "you don't." The slightly longer answer is, there
>> is a switch on the box. Slide it one way and it clones the source
>> device, placing the directory structure in a root directory called
>> /syncboxXX where XX is a sequential number. Slide it the other way and
>> it copies only the contents of the /syncbox directory on the source
>> device.
>So one could conceivably use a HDD based MP3 player as a library of sorts,
>with many folders of content less than or equal to the size of a flash
>player's capacity? Prior to transfer, rename the desired directory to
>"syncbox" and do the transfer. Yes? No? Have you tried this sort of
>thing? The main requirement, I guess would be a player capable of
>renaming directories.

Yes, it will do that. I haven't tried it but there is a similar example
scenario in the docs.

>I may just have to get one of these things. I assume it will support
>certain flash card reader/writers too?

yes. Anything that looks like a "disk drive". Disclaimer: I know little more
about USB than how to plug it in so if my terminology is off, sue me :-)

This thing was designed to dump digicam memory via the cam's USB port.
Apparently a lot of cameras mount as a drive. Unfortunately Canons don't.
The instructions suggest Canon owners carrying around a small card reader.

>(yes I altered the subject. I think it's confusing to add the word slave,
>when USB is simply a Host/Device configuration and not a Host/Master/Slave
>configuration like IDE. Not that it's strictly wrong to use the term
>Slave, just confusing)

John De Armond
Cleveland, Occupied TN