Subject: RE: Newbie Alert
From: rinty (rinty_at_freeuk.com)
Date: 2004-06-11

Hi Steve, the only place to get one of the potentially accessible
units is, through ebay really. Some of us were lucky enough to be able
to take advantage of some that were available from
www.theupgradestore.com, and they might ship to the US, especially if
you email them with your predicament, so to speak. The contact that
helped me was a Matt Evans I think, so try. I don't know that they've
sold out, so fo for it if you want.

They're therefore obviously still out there, but needles and haystacks
might be a more apposite description of the likelihood of finding one.

They are also often sold second-hand on ebay. The only models you'll
likely get now new, are the FM recorder, and the recorder V2, being
the 2 most recent accessible Archos units.

When considering the other questions, it's important to get a good
handle on what you're working with here. A lot of dedicated people,
who happen to have put together a product that makes a hell of a
difference to the lives of VI people. They were first Archos users,
and the genesis of the project is there. Therefore if you're wanting
something for another player, it's logically going to be best to look
at those users rather than this group. There might be principals that
are similar, but how far this would go, I really don't know.

If you read some of the info on the web-site, you'll find that the
whole thing was reverse engineered to come up with this software, I.E.
every screw removed in the hardware), so it's not likely to happen
unless someone has an iriver unit that they're happy potentially to
destroy.

Hope this helps,

Rob

---