Subject: Re: A thought on the voice UI
From: [IDC]Dragon (
Date: 2004-06-11

> > Also while looking through the rest of the script, although again, I am
> not
> > a programmer, it seems like it could be easily modified to generate file
> > names along with folder names if RockBox had the ability to pickup on an
> > additional trigger like _filexxxx.voice where xxxx would be the number
> of
> > the file in that particular folder.

The number is probably not the best to use, if you insert/delete files it
gets all inconsistant. I'd suggest the same name with a trailing ".talk".

> I (and several others) could easily modify the script to do this if it
> is ever supported by rockbox. One suggestion I might make - and maybe
> Joerg and some of the other devs could explain why it is or isn't a good
> idea!) is that the single clip currently present in each
> folder be expanded to include both the foldername *and* the names of the
> files in that folder.

Currently, this is a plain mp3 file for the directory name. No indexing
struct or anything. I don't like the idea of having a joint file with the
folder content, for maintenance reasons.

> There would, of course, have to be additional complexity in the talkbox
> code, e.g., error checking (what if user adds or deletes a new file and
> doesn't update the .talk file?),

See? It would be like having a second directory, without it being part of
the file system.

I can imagine to have at least playlists accompanied by a .talk file each,
these are probably not so many. Technically, the same could be done for mp3
files, but be aware of clutter. The consistency problem remains. If you
delete a file, would you expect Rockbox to delete the matching .talk file?
Would you do the same from your PC in USB mode?

+++ Jetzt WLAN-Router fr alle DSL-Einsteiger und Wechsler +++
GMX DSL-Powertarife zudem 3 Monate gratis*