Subject: Re: A higher quality voicefont?
From: Chris Holt (
Date: 2004-06-11

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:24:57 +0100, Christi Alice Scarborough wrote:
> Chris Holt wrote:
>> Audacity has a very good noise reduction filter, is easier to use
>> than Goldwave and is free.
>> Also, if you already use Nero burning software, Nero's Wave editor is
>> very good. It can do the noise removal without the additional
>> sampling process which makes things zip right along.
> I've already tried Audacity's filter. The results were not good.
> I might give Nero a try, but I doubt it will be able to produce a
> better result than Audacity.
> Christi

Version 5 might not, but version 6 has substantial improvements. Are we
talking HDD noise, 60 hz hum and AC vent hiss? Or are you trying to
improve the sound of the speech itself? Those mentioned noises can be
removed fairly surgically, but I would recommend a medium priced
hyper-cardiod electret mic for improving the original recording. I got
one from Radio Shack that does a wonderful job for me here. Think I spend
$30 US on it. Very little ambient noise left to remove even compared to
my supposedly noise cancelling (passive I'm sure) "speech recognition
ready" headset mic. (I think it's a LabTech, I gave it to my son to play