Rockbox.org home
release
dev builds
extras
themes manual
wiki
device status forums
mailing lists
IRC bugs
patches
dev guide



Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: Legal Notice Served
From: Joseph Jones (joe_at_bumpycarrot.cjb.net)
Date: 2004-06-13


Err, you could just have a GPL'd version, and a none GPL'd version...
They'd be the same source and binary, except that one didn't have the
GPL attached to it...

Joe

BlueChip wrote:
> At 07:55 13/06/04, you wrote:
>
>> BlueChip wrote:
>>
>>> Okay ...What's the old phrase? ..."fourth time lucky"? :)
>>
>>
>> :-)
>
>
> :-)
>
>> Well, I managed to read the source code,
>
>
> tut tut tut - naughty boy ;)
>
>> so I guess I'm happy. Just curious, why is it so important that the
>> "user" reads the release notes?
>>
>> I mean, everybody knows that programs are never finished, and that
>> source code sometimes is messy.
>
>
> Vanity. Self Respect. Morals. All purely right-brain based
> responses. I cringe every time a bug is found in my released code. On
> the other hand, I put a lot of work into Klondike and had to put it on
> hold; I was asked to release it as alpha by a few people I had mentioned
> it to. The rest is, as they say, history.
>
>> Is it perhaps that you want the reader to read the section where you
>> portray yourself as a victim of the GPL and the Rockbox project?
>
>
> Not at all. I wanted to say that such shoddy source was released under
> duress, and said what that duress was. I tried very hard to be fair, in
> fact when I converted it from a self extractor and read what I wrote
> originally, I edited it for the precise reason of removing risk of that
> mis-interpretation.
>
> fwiw I do feel "infected" by the GPL - I believe in free source - I have
> never before put restrictions on the use of my released code. I would
> be just as proud to find a chunk of my code flying a plane as I would be
> to find it in some-bloke's game.
>
> In my world map, being an active anti-capitalist is just as much an
> infringment on human rights as being an active capitalist. I would have
> preferred that my code were the good old fashioned bona fide free (as in
> just plain "free" ...take, enjoy, say nice things about me when I die.)
>
>> I don't get it. If this "alpha" code is so bad, don't publish the
>> binary until you're ready to publish the source.
>
>
> People said "please", I said "okay"?
> It inspires me to finish it each time I see it on the website?
> Most people, like me, make decisions based on emotional reponses and
> then form logical validations for those decision afterwards?
> ...I dunno really, it just seemed like a good idea at the time.
> ...And I'm not saying it was the best choice. In fact, using my
> supernatural powers of 20:20 hindsight, it clearly wasn't. But, hey, it
> won't be my last faux pas before I die; It would be nice if it were the
> worst :)
>
>> Why shouldn't you follow the law/license, like everyone else is
>> supposed to?
>
>
> I am, as far as I know.
>
>> Anyway, the source is there, and you've made your point.
>
>
> A perfect compromise.
>
> BlueChip
>
>
>> Linus
>> _______________________________________________
>> http://cool.haxx.se/mailman/listinfo/rockbox
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://cool.haxx.se/mailman/listinfo/rockbox
>
>
_______________________________________________
http://cool.haxx.se/mailman/listinfo/rockbox



Page was last modified "Jan 10 2012" The Rockbox Crew
aaa