Subject: Re: sleep timer
From: BlueChip (
Date: 2004-06-14

>>But if you want to do things properly, shut the drive down before ripping
>>the power out of it.
>How good that I just committed a fix for this then. ;-)

You're just too damn efficient Linus ;)

I noticed that you had posted the fix as I went to hit send, but thought
the info might be handy anyway :)

>>If you want to do things anally, you should not only be shutting down the
>>hdd, but also the adac and probably some other stuff as well. This would
>>require an OFF feature in Rockbox.
>Yeah, I wish there was a good way of preventing the "hard" poweroff on the
>old recorder/studio...

My best thought on this is to trap the power-off request long enough before
the hardware sees it, to affect any shut-down protocols that may be

For auto-shutdown, all is well.

For a manual request (OFF for 3 Seconds) perhaps (and this is just a
starting point for a good idea):

Trap OFF at 2S, get the voice to say "off" to let the user know the trap
has happened; they can then release the OFF button before the hardware
takes control and trust that Rockbox will finish the process.

The biggest drawback I can see with this, is that the speech "off" would
need to be ready in RAM at all times; as loading it off disk may take too
long and all is lost.

Perhaps we could register bash the MAS volume or something and create some
form of beep?