Subject: read only under linux

read only under linux

From: <pvrb_at_nekophile.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:57:11 -0700 (PDT)

Acording to the archives, it appears I'm not the only one:

Jun 14 08:39:23 twiggy kernel: Filesystem panic (dev 08:01).
Jun 14 08:39:23 twiggy kernel: FAT error
Jun 14 08:39:23 twiggy kernel: File system has been set read-only
Jun 14 08:39:23 twiggy kernel: Directory 35: bad FAT

The hardware problem ended-up being a bad usb port. Under fedora core 1,
I was able to locate the unit and mount it. Now, if I could just write to
it....

I noticed that the unit did not automount per fstab, but does mount
manually:
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/archos type vfat (rw)

For those who've succeeded, did you fdisk the unit from linux? (I ran a
windows (non-quick) 'format' before doing anything)

Are problems like this at all distro-specific? I'm creating a new box
(maybe gentoo) and it'd be nice to know.

Thanks,
Phil