Subject: Re: read only under linux

Re: read only under linux

From: Peter Grecian <peter-g_at_moving-picture.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 17:34:26 +0100

I've succeeded but I had to use scandisk under windows, which is
cheating. Fsck would be the command in unix to fix the file system
corruption but does not work well for fat32.
Fdisk is about partitions not the FAT. mkfs would create a new
filesystem but
I've not tryed that.

I got a bad filesystem because I've got old drivers which fail when there
is too much write buffer used on the host side. So I've got a script which
does a sync after copying each track. The added bonus is I can accuratly
workout the transfer speed - often over 700MBytes per second. You might
have a similar problem with your usb.

Peter

pvrb_at_nekophile.com wrote:

>Acording to the archives, it appears I'm not the only one:
>

>Jun 14 08:39:23 twiggy kernel: Filesystem panic (dev 08:01).
>Jun 14 08:39:23 twiggy kernel: FAT error
>Jun 14 08:39:23 twiggy kernel: File system has been set read-only
>Jun 14 08:39:23 twiggy kernel: Directory 35: bad FAT
>
>The hardware problem ended-up being a bad usb port. Under fedora core 1,
>I was able to locate the unit and mount it. Now, if I could just write to
>it....
>
>I noticed that the unit did not automount per fstab, but does mount
>manually:
>/dev/sda1 on /mnt/archos type vfat (rw)
>
>For those who've succeeded, did you fdisk the unit from linux? (I ran a
>windows (non-quick) 'format' before doing anything)
>
>Are problems like this at all distro-specific? I'm creating a new box
>(maybe gentoo) and it'd be nice to know.
>
>Thanks,
>Phil

        Peter Grecian ¦ mailto:peter-g_at_moving-picture.co.uk
The Moving Picture Co ¦ http://www.moving-picture.co.uk
 127 Wardour St, Soho ¦ T:020 7434 3100 F:020 7437 3951
  London, UK, W1F 0NL ¦ Lat 51:30:48 Long -0:07:58