Subject: More hardware questions...

More hardware questions...

From: stuart <stuart_at_xnet.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 07:49:07 -0500

Hi...

Thanks so much Joseph and Linus for the feed back.

For those of you who don't know, I'm trying to peer into the RockBox
project to get a HipZip to work off of either a Compact Flash or a Hard
Disk Drive.

First off, I want to verify if I am right on this: It looks like the USB
chip in the JukeBox 600 is using the USB power supply - while the
JukeBox Recorder is internally powered off the RockBox batteries. Do
you happen to know which one is better -or- perhaps, which one is the
newer design?

On to some interesting connections: The IORDY (I/O Ready) and INTREQ
(Interrupt Request) from the Hard Drive's ATA interface end up going to
some logic and the processor - looks like pins PA3 and PA13. Hum, so
why didn't Archos connect the IORDY line to the ISD200's IORDY input?
Are there clues in the software as to what the processor is doing with
these signals?

Something that just occurred to me: Compact Flash can operate in an ATA
mode. That is, configure it's self to look like an ATA disk drive.
Current prices for Compact Flash are linear (i.e. fixed amount per byte
up to 1 GByte). However, many of us may have more than one laying
around. I don't know about the HipZip, but isn't it possible to get the
RockBox to access 2 disk drives? I saw where someone here was using 1
Compact Flash card instead of a hard drive in his box. Why not try to
get 2 compact flash cards working on the same ATA interface?

                        ...thanks, stuart_at_xnet.com