Subject: Re: playback issues, Less vibration sensitive HD

Re: playback issues, Less vibration sensitive HD

From: Nick Brodich <nick_at_moirbrodich.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:39:52 -0400

Hello Peter:

    I, like you, enjoy using my jukebox while on my motor bike. In fact,
that was the primary reason for the purchase. I, like you, almost
immediately began having problems precisely like the ones you described. I
tried ways of isolating the unit (fanny pack with thick foam glued in), but
it still had problems and the large package turned the original advantage of
portability on its head. I pretty much stopped using the unit. This was
before I had the good fortune of stumbling upon Rockbox.

    Out of sheer stubborness, I pulled my archos out of retirement and
started looking for a software solution. Then came the fateful day I
stumbled upon Rockbox and all of the wonderful people that make it work.
Besides enjoying the online community immensely, Rockbox is an awesome
operating system. And it appeared to address my skipping concerns with
anti-skip protection that I believe to be a significant improvement over the
original firmware. After I loaded up Rockbox, I tried using my archos
without the foam fanny pack, just putting it in my jacket pocket.

    It still skipped and stalled, but not nearly as badly as pre-Rockbox. I
actually thought I could live with it. Then one day, it just died. With
help from this listserve, I was able to scandisk and reformat and,
eventually, reload Rockbox and get my archos up and running again. But I
decided that my application was just too rough for a HD player. Even if I
got it working, it would be temporary as I was fighting nature. The
environment on a motor bike is just too harsh, in my opinion. Eventually
whatever HD you use will suffer from the vibrations.

    I decided a flash player was the answer, but after having 10GB at your
fingertips, 256 MB is a joke. And flash players with decent memory were
astronomically expensive compared to their HD counterparts. I then stumpled
upon this site: http://www.viperlair.com/articles/howto/mods/muvo2/. With
a bit of work and time, I could MAKE a flash player for a fraction of the
cost.

    This is precisely what I did, using a 1 GB Sandisk non-ultra CF card.
My muvo2 works like a charm. 1 GB allows me to load about 13 hours of
music, and the playback is FLAWLESS. I have gotten the muvo2 up to 100 MPH
on an unfaired Harley with it just placed in my jacket pocket. Solid as a
rock. Bumps? We now laugh at bumps that used to make us cringe, then shut
down. I feel it is the perfect solution.

    I still wouldn't part with my archos and Rockbox. First of all, this
listserve is way too cool to give up. But secondly, the archos makes for a
great music warehouse. All of my music is on the archos. I use the muvo2
as a kind of glorified 14 disc CD changer, swaping album files and playlists
in and out. Not insignificantly, when I need tunes on the go without the
shaking and battering of the motor bike, I grab the archos. Why not bring
ALL of the music with you?

    In short, I would suggest you not torture yourself trying to make a HD
player work on a motor bike. Use the strengths of of both technologies in
their respective applications. Feel free to email me for more in-depth
discussions. I wish you the best of luck.

Nick