Subject: RE: Newb question about external HD's (non-aol) but still newb
From: Stuart Tedford (
Date: 2004-06-17

You have to get a 2.5 inch laptop hard drive. It must also be 9.5
milimeters thick, but most are nowadays, you used to get 12.5mm thick ones.

Have a look at this link for hitachi laptop drives...
I'd go for one from the 5K80 range, these are 5400rpm so will be fast enough
for most future aplications. You can go for a 4K80, these will probably
give better battery life as they are 4200rpm, but these days they are too
slow for performance laptop applications, if you ever remove it from your
AJB to use in something else - which I have done 3 times now.