Subject: Re: plugins
From: [IDC]Dragon (idc-dragon_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-06-18

Cristian wrote:

> someone wrote.:
> >No, plugins do not speak (yet). We have yet to design and specify how
> >speak should be controlled and used from plugins. Until this it done,
> >plugins will remain silent.
>
> Well... the audio plugin by bluechip has speech support, I'm blind, it
> works really fine, I' didn't understand how it works, it has a speech
> library in its core?

(forgive me, I don't want to spark another flamewar)
Bluechip hacked the plugin interface and a few other points of the core to
force his audio control in. This gives quick success, an incompatible fork,
but worst of all a badly maintainable architecture. The latter not being a
virtue in itself, but we can't let loose completely.

Exporting the talk API has issues. Plugins could "re-use" the existing
vocabulary, but we certainly don't want to extend that for the superset of
all possible plugins. Same goes for language IDs and localization. For
talking, what's required is a way for the plugins to bring in smaller
"sub-voicefiles" with their vocabulary extension. Remaining problem is how
to have that more or less consistant, you may have different speakers then.

In general, first we have to build the infrastructure, then the features.

Jrg

--
+++ Jetzt WLAN-Router fr alle DSL-Einsteiger und Wechsler +++
GMX DSL-Powertarife zudem 3 Monate gratis* http://www.gmx.net/dsl