Subject: Re: plugins
From: Cristian (cguiducci_at_gostec.net)
Date: 2004-06-18

Joerg wrote:
>(forgive me, I don't want to spark another flamewar)

Sorry, this was not my intent, as person and as blind I think that any additional feature is welcome, voice is for us necessary to be able to use all the features. Your first vocal interface, is great, I think that the audio capabilityes of the BC audio plugin are also very nice, for the moment being I find it a nice idea to include blind support there, if, however, a more organized and predictible structure or architecture could be implemented for speech output enabled plugins, as you where suggesting Joerg, I think it would be even better, I hope that we can get there, if any plugin has its own vocal file, let's say a audio.voice file, and the plugin could use the core components to speak, I think it would be OK, since it would give all the plugin's developers the freedom to make it vocal or not, and to make a suited vocal output for the plugins. If the voices in the end are not consistent, I mean the type of voice, I wouldn't care, important is that a sort ov speech output is there. Plus, v
ocalizing all the plugins to me doesn't make much sense, since I think that only a couple could be beneficial to us, and I don't think that vocalized plugins could meet the need of sighted people, not even while driving. As for the audio plugin, I think it can improve the quality of the audio under certain circumstances and if Bluechip could help to integrate it in the normal firmware, I think that it would be nice, although, I personally appreciate that it is a rather advanced tweaking interface, and that perhaps it should be put under a rather hidden submenue.

Hope this helps, just a modest opinion of a user, whose intent is not to spark anything, just to help to make the project grow.

Bye, and thanks again to all developers.

In the mean while, a question to BC: is there a ucl file for your modifyed version? and, I think I wrote it before, is it possible to update the vocal interface so as to read _talk files? I could use the normal flashed version, and when I need the plugin I could rolo to your firmware, but at the moment, the folders are nolonger read.

Bye, Cris.

it follows your original message.