Subject: RE: Koss Porta pros
From: Fred Maxwell (rockbox_at_anti-spam.org)
Date: 2004-06-19

Jörg wrote:

> > 3. Have the SAME specs as the Porta pros. (?)
>
> Yes, the use the same drivers.

No, they do not have the same specs, as seen on Koss's web site:

Sportapro: Sensitivity: 103 dB SPL/1mW
Portapro: Sensitivity: 101 dB SPL/1mW

As to sound, we have the following from the comparison review on
goodcans.com

"Curious, I took a closer listen and compared a Sportapro with a Portapro.
Guess what? I couldn't hear the fluttering with the Portapro's and in fact,
the sound quality of the Portapro’s was constantly better when listened to
closely!

Comparing the specs for the Portapro's vs. the Sportapro's, the only
difference seems minor? The Sensitivity changes from 101 to 103 dB SPL/1mW
on the Sportapro. I had noticed this difference before and I assumed a mute
button on the Sportapro was slightly affecting the numbers, (but now the
Sportapro no longer has that mute button and the numbers are still the
same). Looking closely at the transducers, they do appear to be the same.
But here is a lesson I have learned about the effect the housing has on
headphone sound quality. The Sportapro has some additional plastic behind
the transducer and it appears the sound is bouncing off of the plastic and
having a negative effect on the sound. For active use, we still recommend
the Sportapro as it still has better sound than most portable headphones!
When you are exercising or walking, most people don’t listen closely enough
to even hear the slight sound degradation. But for the best portable sound
quality in non-active use, we do prefer the Portapro!"

While the transducers "appear" to be the same, the specs and the subjective
performance are not.

Regards,
  Fred Maxwell