Subject: Re: Archos Jukebox 20 with only a 10Gig drive!?

Re: Archos Jukebox 20 with only a 10Gig drive!?

From: Dave Jones, HFP Acoustical <dave_at_hfpacoustical.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:40:55 -0500

Really? It seems like a lot of trouble just to snag a 20 Gig drive.

The warranty sticker is still in place. And the unit doesn't look like it
has been disassembled. (There may be people who can take an Archos apart
and reassemble it without bending anything at all, but in my experience
there are always one or two very slight bends in the sheet metal at the
edges of the bumpers.)

In any case, I'll try and return it to the retailer.

Perhaps the real problem was that it was Archos #13 in my collection.
Perhaps I pushed it a little too far, or maybe I should have numbered it
#14 instead.

Dave

At 02:47 PM 6/21/2004, you wrote:
>Dave Jones, HFP Acoustical wrote:
>
>>I just opened a brand new (bought in a sealed package from an Ebay
>>seller) Archos jukebox recorder 20 that only seems to have a 10 Gig drive
>>in it.
>>I'm looking at it in explorer, under Windows XP, and the properties
>>swears that it's only 9.37 Gigs.
>>The computer management|storage|disk management interface shows a 9.37
>>Gig drive as well with a single FAT32 partition. So it's not a
>>partitioning problem.
>>Anybody else heard of the completely wrong size drive being dropped into
>>a AJBR?
>
>Dave,
>
>I have to believe that someone with access to shrink-wrap equipment is to
>blame. I don't believe, for a moment, that Archos put the wrong drive
>into the unit. You might try e-mailing Archos and see if they had a run
>like that, but I'm betting that someone swapped drives after the unit left
>the factory.
>
>Regards,
> Fred Maxwell

Dave Jones P.E., Senior Project Engineer
HFP Acoustical Consultants
6001 Savoy Dr., Suite 115
Houston, Texas 77036
713.789.9400 (phone)