Subject: RE: harware : HD ref for Swapping on JBR 20Go

RE: harware : HD ref for Swapping on JBR 20Go

From: Stuart Tedford <stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:36:04 +0100

> The RPM is more than 4200 for the last HD 2.5". Is is really
> bad for the power consumption ?

I guess it is, but I am using a 5400rpm Toshiba HDD in my JBRv1 and I don't
notice any difference in power consumption. Even some of the latest
Archoses are shipping with 5400rpm drives from the factory. 4200rpm drives
are pretty much obsolete these days anyway, so you might be able to get one
cheap, but either one will do.

> And what about the cache of the HD ?

The cache will make no difference to Rockbox at all. The Archos doesn't
have a fast bandwidth for disk access, so the internal HD caching makes no
difference. It was discussed a long time ago about trying to use the HD
internal cache as part of the mp3 buffer, but the ATA interface does not
allow it. This would have been good because my current HD has a 16MB cache!

Stu.