Subject: Re: Player flashing

Re: Player flashing

From: sophana <jobarjo78_at_yahoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:22:49 +0200

[IDC]Dragon wrote:

>>You know what, I had a look at the datasheets. It is incredible that
>>they made such a flash which is not designed to be flashed in situ (like
>>all other)
>>

>It's an older chip, and probably was just cheaper.
>

>>But it should be still possible to program the flash by controlling 2
>>pins:
>>first apply 12v on the CE (should be controlled by software, 12v from
>>external device of course)
>>then play with the sh1 wait state pin to make 10us write pulses. This
>>little logic can be implemented in a very smal PLD adding wait states
>>only for write accesses.
>>the timings seem compatible...
>>
>>Then to program the flash the software just have to apply the 12v, then
>>directly write into the flash.
>>
>>what do you think of that?
>>

>I think you should replace the chip, this is way more easy.
>
>Having the old chip would be very uncomfortable, even if you add programming
>logic to your player (insulate the rest from the 12V!). You'd just be able
>to reprogram the whole chip, it does not have sectors. So the .ucl update
>business would not work.

you're right.
But I don't think I have sufficient hardware and skill to replace a TSOP
chip. :-(
Are there lot of flashable players released?

I'll look at a friend's studio 20 if it is flashable. But I don't think
he would let me mod his archos...

My player is in my car and is modded for my car application.
If I want to try the uart boot mod, I'll have to port my rockbox mod for
the recorder I've just bought (which is flashed)
Then I could try to boot from uart. (I also have to check I have a rom)

But having a non flashable player is not very motivating.