Subject: RE: Rockbox FAQ for the blind
From: Green, Tom (TGreen_at_CWF.org)
Date: 2004-06-24

Andreas and Christi,

It appears that it depends on whether you're talking about "American" or
"British" English.

See: http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000193.htm ; First example.

"The only significant difference I can think of is that the British
sometimes treat collective nouns as plural where the Americans treat
them as singular."

So, in the US, only "The Rockbox team is justifiably proud..." is
correct.

Interesting difference, FWIW.

Tom

(snip)

> The Rockbox team are justifiably proud...

> As a non-native English speaker, I was wondering why this is correct

> English. Shouldn't it be

> The Rockbox team is justifiably proud...

> because team is singular?

> Andreas

AND:

(snip)

> Team is singular, but also refers in this case to a collection of

> people. I believe both usages would be accepted in common English,

> although those of a pedantic bent may well agree with you.

(snip)