Subject: Re: Rockbox FAQ for the blind

Re: Rockbox FAQ for the blind

From: Fred Maxwell <rockbox_at_anti-spam.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:16:00 -0400

Green, Tom wrote:
> So, in the US, only "The Rockbox team is justifiably proud..." is
> correct.

Tom is, of course, correct. I work for a corporation which has a
worldwide presence and we constantly deal with differences in English usage.

In addition to the aformentioned difference in the handling of
collective nouns, there are also many differences in spelling. A few
examples (US, British):

color, colour
defense, defence
analyze, analyse
center, centre
check, cheque
program, programme
traveling, travelling
learned, learnt
skillful, skilful

There is no way to make a document which is correct in both British
English and U.S. English. Looking at it objectively, U.S. English is
slightly more logical due to the reforms introduced by Benjamin Franklin
to simplify the spelling (e.g, dropping the "u" from honor, color, etc.).

Regards,
   Fred Maxwell