Subject: Re: Rockbox FAQ for the blind
From: BlueChip (cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net)
Date: 2004-06-26

>Fred Maxwell wrote:
>>BlueChip wrote:
>>
>>>I never realised Franklin was illiterate.
>>
>>Franklin, Webster, and others who attempted to reform English spelling
>>were not "illiterate." Many of them recognized that it was absurd to
>>spell a work "checque" when it was not pronounced CHEK-cue. They knew
>>that it made no sense to add a silent letter "u" to words like color, and
>>honor.
>>You act as if any change to the language is horrific, yet your use of
>>English bears little resemblence to the English written by William Shakespeare.

And Shakespeare spoke (for it is debated whether he wrote, but safe to
believe he spoke) far more differently than _his_ forebearers ...but both
he and I share a commonality of not utilising American as our language of
choice :P

It is fair to respect American as a language, and probably the language
which will win when the world goes unilingual. But should an American tell
a Brit that they are speaking the same language, the chances are the
'stereo-typical Brit' will rise to the surface of the recipient and let off
an almost intangible glow of indignance. It's just a cultural thing <shrugs>

>Shall I compare rockbox to an Archos firmware?
>Rockbox art more lovely and more temperate.

LOL :-)

>>If you want to speak a language which never evolves, might I suggest Latin?
>I thought you were going to say FORTRAN for a minute there...

LMAO :-)

BC :)