Subject: Re: Announcement: Rockbox installer for Windows

Re: Announcement: Rockbox installer for Windows

From: Christi Alice Scarborough <christi_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:02:30 +0100

BlueChip wrote:

>> That *is* the icon from the Devkit. ;)
> LOL ...that's freaky ...you seem to have some green dots around the edge
> of yours which shows up quite clearly with my chosen desktop theme -
> <looks confused> ...I can do a screenshot if you think it might help.

I doubt it. No green dots on mine at all. I'm really not sure how I'd
fix it.

>> Still, if you'd like to implement these things, I'll happily send you
>> the config file and let you hack away at it. ;)

> Taking time out to cheer words of encouragement is a nice diversion, but
> I have virtually zero windoze programming experience; I am an embedded
> guy through-and-through ...console stuff in djgpp is about as close as I
> get to writing stuff for windows.

I don't have any Windows programming experience. I'm not that much of a
masochist.

> Advanced stuff is always nice, but this installer is the first and most
> important step toward something ovekill :) I would still advise newb's
> to use your installer over and above "unzip" :)

Well, I think it does just about everything I'd want a rockbox installer
to do. The stuff you've mentioned would be cool, but I'm not interested
enough in hacking Windows or Pascal about enough to make it happen.
Maybe I'll have a fit of enthusiasm one day, but that's probably better
directed at the manual, which is still waiting on me getting my head
around OpenOffice's auto-numbering scheme.

It occurs to me that InnoSetup might well run under wine, in which case,
generating the Windows executable installer as part of the daily build
process might well be possible. Does whoever runs the builds think this
is a plausible idea?

Christi