Subject: Installer update
From: Christi Alice Scarborough (christi_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk)
Date: 2004-06-27

Well, because BlueChip prodded me, the installer now remembers your
drive letter and install type after you've installed once. As a side
effect of this, there's also a entry created in "Add/Remove Programs" so
it will uninstall Rockbox as well.

There are, however, downsides to this, and I'm in two minds as to
whether to put the original behaviour back.

(1) The Uninstall data is stored in the user's Application Data folder.
  The system Application Data folder would be a better place for this,
but to make the installer force you to log on as Administrator just for
this would be silly.

(2) The reason it's stored there, and not in .rockbox is so the
uninstaller can be accessed even when the drive is not connected. It
prompts you to connect the drive for uninstall

(3) There are all sorts of bizarre ways to confuse the uninstaller -
uninstall and install as different users, install on multiple Jukeboxes,
and probably a few others as well. However, it'll work fine for the
users who have simple setups.

So, is this just needless complexity, or do the benefits outweigh the
disadvantages?

Thanks,

Christi