Subject: Re: Announcement: Rockbox installer for Windows

Re: Announcement: Rockbox installer for Windows

From: Neon John <johngd_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:30:39 -0400

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 06:03:26 -0400, "Aman Singer" <aman_at_asinger.net> wrote:

>Insomnia at 10:00 in the morning, Christie? <laugh>. Seriously, though, this
>is a great idea. The number of people who don't know, it seems, how to unzip
>the whole file, or put the contents of .rockbox in the root of the machine
>is astounding. Very nice work. Now if only you could identify which rockbox
>model people had, which drive letter it's on, and which computer on the
>network it was connected to... <laugh>.
>It works well on my original recorder and my player.
> Nice work.

What a great idea.

Here is a feature that is badly needed for subsequent uses after the first
install. The installer needs to know the difference between essential and
optional files and not install optional files that are not already on the
target jukebox.

Here's why. On my jukeboxes I've removed all non-essential files in .rockbox.
The initial reason, to save a little space, isn't an issue anymore with the 80
gb drive. But the second reason, to unclutter the screen when navigating
around, is. I have one font file, one language file, only a few rocks and no
help files. I don't want to have to figure out what I need and what I don't
each time I install a new build.

Currently I have to do that manually every time a new build that changes the
structure of .rockbox is released. I have to extract to a different location
and then pick through .rockbox to figure out what the changers are and what
changes are necessary.

An install script that knew which files were vital and which were optional and
installed only upgrades of already-existing files would be really nice. The
installer could make an early switch between "new install or unchanged
re-install" and "custom/modified installation" and proceed from there.

John
---
John De Armond
johngdDONTYOUDARE_at_bellsouth.net