Subject: RE: ATA test, round 2

RE: ATA test, round 2

From: Newsletters <pmc.newsletters_at_netcabo.pt>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 02:08:57 +0100

Hi again Jens.

I'm very glad that my case is no longer a problem for the speed
optimizations!

I tried the 1-Feb-2004 build again, just to recheck that the problem
really was there, and as expected, i got a corrupt .rockbox folder...

But having a flashed ucl more recent than the February .ajz made a weird
change.

The problem i had with the corruption only manifested itself after i
shutted the box down.

I would ROLO into the Feb build, play with it, and then restarted the
box. When it did, i would get the recent flashed build again, and even
not doing anything other than ROLOing the Feb build again, the problem
would not present itself!

I only got the problem to show up after restarting the box, and doing
the ON+F1 trick to load the archos firmware, followed by an automatic
load of the February archos.ajz.

In resume, doing
[Recent ucl] -> [ROLO] -> [Feb build] -> [Restart] -> [Recent ucl] ->
[ROLO] -> [Feb build]
works!

Only with
[Recent ucl] -> [ROLO] -> [Feb build] -> [Restart w/ ON+F1] -> [Archos
firmware] -> [Feb build]
did i get the old problem back.

I don't know if this explains anything, or if it helps in any way, but i
thought it could be worth mentioning.

By the way, it may be just me, but if believe that compared to the old
optimizations, these recent ones are way faster.
Maybe it's just the feeling of handling a 4 month old build, but i
remember that the old speed optimizations, when they were released,
didn't made a big diference, but with this new build, i feel that
browsing and skiping tracks is faster, even compared to the rather
recent ucl i already had in the box.

Just my impression though.

Anyways, i downloaded your ucl pack and i'm now using your fast.ucl in
my box. Actually, i'm using it as i write this :)
No problems yet (and hopefully, never!).

I'll check back if i get any.

Pedro Clemente