Subject: Disk Spindown time and mpeg buffer
From: Stuart Tedford (
Date: 2004-06-30

I like to have a disk spindown time of about 15 seconds, so that when I
skip_to/start a new track, I can quickly skip to the next track if I decide
I don't want to listen to the current(new) one. - Avoiding an additional
spin up cycle on the disk.

My question is... Would it be a good idea to load some more mp3 data into
the mpeg buffer just before the timeout/spin down of the disk. It seems a
waste to have the disk spinning for x seconds, while at the same time
consuming x seconds of mpeg buffer. I think this "top-up" function would be
much more sensinble.

I had a quick hack at it last night but only managed to break it. So I
thought I'd check with the list to see if anyone had already done a patch
for this.