Subject: Re: Very low record levels using external mic
From: Christi Alice Scarborough (
Date: 2004-07-01

Erik Owens wrote:

> Thanks, Christi, for the tip. I don't have a stereo with a mic jack,
> but my laptop has one. That seems to record just fine with the new
> mic. Does that prove anything, or do I need to try it on some other
> device?

Mic-in sockets on sound cards pre-amplify in a very naive way, which
usually results in a very crackly signal. I'd say it indicates that you
could do with a pre-amp of some description to link it to the Archos
line-in. Given it's a condenser mike (nice, consider me jealous)
depending on what you're wanting it for, you may want to consider a
vacuum tube pre-amp. If it's just for memo taking or whatever, it's
probably easier to stick with the internal mic.