Subject: Re: Very low record levels using external mic

Re: Very low record levels using external mic

From: <tenvelde_at_downtown.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:18:51 -0500 (CDT)

That seems a rather extravagant way to amplify the microphone level for
the Jukebox: the Jukebox is only capable of handling about 50dB of
dynamic range before you hit the noise level. This is about the same as a
cassette recorder. The only way to achieve quality results is to use the
digital in, but then you'll need not just a pre-amp, but an analogue to
digital converter as well.

If you're going to use an external microphone with the line in socket, you
will need a pre-amplifier, but for the Jukebox, you should be able to pick
up a reasonable one fairly cheaply.

John