Subject: Re: Scan disk
From: Rocker (
Date: 2004-07-02

A belated thanks dude...rocker

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jens Arnold" <>
To: "Rockbox development" <>
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 5:24 PM

Hello Rocker

> processor running USB 2.0 on windows SP Pro. After about 2
> hours the dialog box read "scanning drive H, phase 1". My FMR
> drive was spinning constantly and I could hear a tick tick
> ticking sound. The jukebox was getting real hot and I was
> worried about frying it. I tried to cancel the scan but the
> cancel button was unavailable. I had to shut down the PC with
> the power button in order to safely remove the jukebox.

> Is this normal behaviour when scanning the HD for errors? How
> long does it take to scan for errors if you have the Windows
> XP Pro scan utility set to check system folders for errors and
> check/fix bad sectors?

Phase 1 should be very fast with USB 2.0 (for me it takes <15 sec
for an 80 GB HD, filled with ~20 GB of data). If you tick
"check/fix bad sectors", this could take rather long, but it
should read "Phase 2" then.

> Is the jukebox supposed to get that hot?

If there is some time with countinuous disk access, the Jukebox
may get rather hot. However, it is not recommended to access the
disk continuously for a long time, because it drains the battery
more than it gets recharged from the charger, and running the
battery empty while the disk is accessed is definitely not good.

Imho the "check/fix bad sectors" (on the os level) is of almost
no use with modern hds.

Regards, Jens