Subject: Re: amiconn: firmware/drivers ata.c,1.115,1.116

Re: amiconn: firmware/drivers ata.c,1.115,1.116

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 17:37:32 +0200

Hello Joseph

> Is this likely to improve battery runtime? To a simple luser
> like me "approx. 2 times as fast" spell "approx. 2 times
> battery life" ;)

It approximately doubles the speed of disk reading and writing,
so all disk operations profit from it, both those that impact
the "visible" performance of Rockbox (faster directory browsing,
forward/ backward skipping, loading of voice file) and those
that are usually (almost) invisible (loading the next chunk of
data when playing, saving the data chunks when recording).

Since this lowers the disk's runtime for all these operations,
it does also increase battery runtime, but not by a factor of 2,
since (1) disk reading/ writing is not the only factor affecting
the disk runtime (spinup time and idle poweroff setting are
others) and (2) the disk is not the only power consuming part in
the Archos. I'd expect a few percent increase in runtime.

Imho the primary benefit is the improved performance, not the
increased battery rutime.

Regards, Jens